Whitney Catalano, a registered dietitian who helps people stop dieting and take the power back from their inner bullies, breaks down why eating less is never the answer for binge eating. She explores why restriction and deprivation are so hurtful in healing from binge eating and what is helpful.
More specifically, inside the episode we explore:
- Whitney’s personal dieting story
- How you can have a good body experience on even the worst body image day
- Why our bodies need to be fed
- How our body doesn’t know the difference between a diet and food insecurity
- Emotions and eating
- Did the binge eating come first or the dieting?
- Guilt, shame and secrecy in binge eating
- When unconditional permission isn’t enough
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) in making peace with food
- What’s absolutely not helpful in binge eating
- Why you may not be able to just rely on hunger cues
- Why acceptance is so key
- Letting go of control with food
- The intersection of childhood and dieting